Monday, November 8, 2010

Two totally different thoughts....

I've never been one to like to pay full price for anything, and I hate throwing any food away, even if it is a half eaten banana, but lately I think I've become obsessed with bargain hunting. It actually excites me to see a big sale...and I'm not much into shopping. I couldnt tell you a thing about perfumes, women's clothes, or anything else many shopaholics go to the mall for. But you want a toy bargain (specifically on toys for 2 year old little girls) I can rattle off the current best sales. And I will rearrange a weekend to get to a good consignment sale. I dont go overboard buying, I just like saving money. Now, you say, doesnt everyone want to save money? Well, yes, but does everyone have a detailed list of what they are going to buy for Christmas with the suggested retail price and then the price that they are actually willing to pay for said item? I tell you, I think I need help! (but for those of you on my Christmas list, I may only spend $5 but you may get a $20 gift:)

Totally unrelated topic.....

I have not read a single sentence in Max Lucado's new book Outlive Your Life, but on KLOVE (my radio station that is almost always on) they keep talking about it, and it has gotten me to thinking about many things. First, all those people who have performed acts of kindness, whether it be life altering or just momentary smile gathering. Saturday Emily went with me to the grocery store. I'm working on getting her in the carseat over all the groceries (eventually I will remember to get the stroller out of the car and can put more stuff in teh trunk) when the lady getting ready to get into the car next to me offers to push my cart into the cart corral for me. That was really nice because I hate putting EMily in teh car and then walking away from it, even for a few steps, and she wasn't exactly being cooperative anyway (way past lunch and naptime for little girls) so to me, it was a very nice gesture (so if you ever see a mom with young kids in a parking lot and they have emptied or nearly emptied their cart, they would appreciate the helping hand of putting the cart away). And then there are those acts of kindness that stretch the realms of what we believe. I had braces as a preteen. Not uncommon in any way, except that at the time I really needed them, my family had no way to pay for them, and I was going to have to just deal with teeth exactly as God had placed them in my mouth. But God put an orthodontist in my life that was just what was needed. At the time we were asked not to tell anyone, as he didnt want to seem as though he were playing favorites or anything, but he new we couldnt afford braces, and he saw the need for them, and being in his position, he asked my parents to meet with him and you know, I got braces and it wasnt a financial hardship thanks to this man, and I'm thankful for having straight teeth, and all the orthodontist got was a few loaves of homemade bread, some cookies and other homemade treats. And I often wonder if he ever knew how grateful we were? So outlive your life....doing something that impacts someone else's life, even after you are out of their life for one reason or another. And I think about my life....how can I make an impact for someone else? I've been thinking for a couple months and have a few ideas of ways I could make a difference. Some are as simple as teaching the kiddos I watch songs like "If I were a butterfly" and showing them that God loves them. Some are a little more complex...I sometimes get big ideas. I'll get back to that one later, because as ideas are turned into realities, some of my big ideas may require going beyond just my house, my family, and even my friends. So think about it....are you making a difference?

No comments: