Monday, May 4, 2009

Solid food? Nope, not yet!

For all of you skeptics out there...did you know that pediatricians actually say it is best for the baby if you wait until they are 12 MONTHS old before introducing foods other than breastmilk or formula? Yep, one year. However, they say that if baby just never seems to be able to get enough to eat then it is ok to introduce food sooner but the chances of developing allergies, including hay fever, seasonal allergies, etc decreases the longer you solely breastfeed? And when you do introduce foods, variety isn't that important, you want to feed them just enough so that they aren't feeling hungry all the time, but you still want them to primarily eat breastmilk? So my decision to have not started solid foods (except for a taste of icing, a taste of ice cream, and a taste of pie) is very much supported by my doctor, and she told me don't rush it. If she is not acting hungry constantly, then just breastfeeding is fine. So, until she starts acting like she is really hungry, I'm going to do what I and my doctor think is best and at this time that is just giving her breastmilk.

She was a good baby at the doctor visit. The stethoscope must've been cold because it made her cry, and of course she cried when she got her shots, but she was all better as soon as I picked her up. And she was good while we ran into Babies R Us (needed another diaper pail for downstairs for her cloth diapers since we finally got that approved for daycare) and Walmart. Then she took a nap while I mowed the yard, and she's napping again while I'm debating dinner. Some sort of cheesy chicken taco bake sounds good, although I would have to totally make it up, I've done that before:) Too bad I don't have cream of cheddar soup.... Anyway Emily is now 25 inches long, and 15 lbs. 6 oz which are both right around the 40th percentile. head circumference is in the 80th percentile.

And final thoughts...some of you may have noticed I vanished from facebook. I was simply spending too much time on there trying to figure it out and just being nosy more than anything, so I deactivated my account. I still have emial and will continue to post occasionally on here, I just didnt want to devote the time to facebook that it was starting to take up.

No comments: