Saturday, April 19, 2008

Girl Scouts

This is my weekend to work, and it promises to be a very busy one. There are so many "special" groups in today that I was told I couldnt have any of the rooms for my programs, and then the weather is supposed to be 66 and mostly sunny, so I'm expecting to be busy. Plus today is my big kickoff for the new fun patch for junior girl scouts that I have spent a considerable amount of time during the past year creating. Which basically translates into me doing programs from 830 until 430 with very little break. It is also Hunter's Ed day which means I have to stay at work until approximately 630 so I can lock up the building. But did I mention I'm going to be OUTSIDE all day and it is supposed to be 66 and sunny? That part is great. My only complaint isn't about the girls that are coming, but the girl scout organization as a whole. I used to think of it as a very good program, providing good morals and examples for girls to follow while encouraging them to get outside and explore and learn to stand on their own two feet. Many girl scouts are based with church groups, so the morals are still there with some troops, but as a whole I'm disappointed in the organization. I recently found out who their woman of the year was. A woman that they want all the girls to look up to. The CEO of Planned Parenthood, the largest abortion organization in our country, was selected as a role model for these girls. I'm not sure it was even this last year but I discovered that girl scouts is a big supporter of Planned Parenthood. Therefore if I ever have little girls and they want to be scouts, there is a new organization, church based, called American Heritage Girls, that is similar to girl scouts but hasnt thrown God out the window. Now I shall get off my soapbox and let the dog back in the house. Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: