Friday, March 14, 2008

Frogs

Yesterday the frogs were really loud. I was excited, because that meant they were welcoming spring. Until last year, I was happy to hear the frogs, and then last year I became a part of the North American Amphibian Monitoring Project which required me to learn the calls of 22 different toads and frogs. It was very frustrating, but I finally figured it out. I haven't listened to them since last summer, so now, before we begin monitoring again, I have to practice learning frog calls. I still remember some, like the spring peepers and chorus frogs, which are the only ones currently singing. The project was created to see where numbers of frogs are decreasing which is one of the first indicators of pollution. It also helps us when we are doing programs! So what kind of frogs do you hear in your backyard?

No comments: